.

12/8/13 WONG SEE MENG....I pray I'm wrong!

Posted By: Abdullah Chek Sahamat - August 28, 2013

Share

& Comment

I sat at a Mamak Coffee shop. It was Monday, 26 August, 2013. I ordered my regular pancake, Canai and Ice Tea. As usual, the Mamak will push the Borneo Post to me. I flip fast to the page that indicate MPOB's published FFB price for the day before. After conforming the price to my boys on the ground, then I started back to the few news pages just to keep myself abreast with what going on. I can't exactly recalled, then I saw a statement that the former District Officer of Sibu is being charged for asking money from a lawyer whom need some certification of some documents. The amount was a mere RM500.00. The reason stated for such money demand  is to pay for his Office the Audit Cost of their ISO Certification.

(2) Wong See Meng, if he is the Wong See Meng that I knew, joint the service together with me, in 1986. We started as junior Officer at the State Planning Unit (SPU). We departed in 1996 ie when I went for my MURP Progam in the State, and thereon, he has been moving from one Office to another. The latest I met him was when he was the District Officer in Sibu, that was if not mistaken in 2010, when I was on my duty to study the problem at Kg. Datu, Sibu. Wong See Meng, as I knew him, and in fact all of us in SPU knew him is a simple straight naive person. Though he got brain his poor family background especially among the hard cunning meta-physic achieving Foo Chow ethnic Chinese made him in a very award social position. He indeed was the most cautious in personal spending to the extend among the junior staffs, he is regarded as the most lokek. Being a poor person myself, I knew and could appreciate his social reasoning for such an attitude. Indeed in our 1986-1996 relationship or even to this day, he never spent a penny to belanja me. A friend said his penny worth a trailer tyre. Well that was Wong See Meng that I knew. I pray, Wong See Meng as the case in hand is not the naive, straight minded, panicky and fear phobia Wong See Meng that I knew.

(3) By way of not to influence any body with regard to this Wong See Meng case, I'll remain neutral whether his conduct is right or wrong. I just want to alert especially the Sarawak State Civil Service System that in its struggle to achieve A World Class Standard indeed it had missed too many simple matters. Just as Mahathir wanted Malaysia to be A Developed Nation fast, he indeed ignored many small maters which now becoming "critical" pins in the neck. In many incidences, I did questioned what World Class Standard is the Sarawak State Civil Service want to achieve? Third World, Middle World or First World? Why not just aim to Serve Our People Right be it Third World, Middle World or First World Standard. In the case of Wong See Meng, to some few Far Narrow Path "Visionary" Civil Service, to achieve the ISO Certification is meant to be the World Class Standard. To me we are indeed in a state of serious confusion and or ilusion between needed reality and mere ego massaging. May be, and "may be" to some few was intended to MERE achieving their KPIs at others expenses. To me in most cases especially with regard to public service GTP initiatives, and the very very glaring case is the all out ISO certification is a mere window dressing of the so called GTP. What indeed being achieved is nothing about delivery cost-effectiveness but a mere self fulfilling being a World Class System. Being ISO cerified, means we are World Class, trendy indeed. This is an area, all through my service, I'm clear, I don't give a damn concern just as when the whole world once was so worried of Y2K Computing disease. In those days, I just believe, it was a mere IT World Business Gimmick and I proved myself was correct. ISO Certification is only applicable to certain areas and or sectors. I have written on this, and I stand to my view despite I was placed under pressure to comply. I dare not to comply. I took responsibility of not to comply once people under my responsibility being touched.

(4) My simple understanding of ISO Certification, indeed it started as the American Private Sector Management Culture proposal to be adopted by the American Corporate System as a wake up call over the phenomena of the Japanese "QCC" which had managed to enable Japan, a country devastated by WWII, with no resources, an isolated Island nation, had in a mere less than 50 years becoming the World Second Economic Superpower. Worst Honda became World No 1 automotive Company conquering even the American domestic market. Indeed today ISO Certification and QCC is no more of the American concern since Bush was in the realm of power. American today act more of gust, not gut feeling. ISO certification is sound for "commercial business" footing. Yet our Civil Service made it to a culture of public waste and rubbish. All because I believe, some smart people as what earlier in MAMPU, seeing those as their new business gain rather a true GTP for the real good of the people. In Islam I could see ISO Certification application in our Civil Service as "niat" berlawanan dengan natijah, ada udang di sebalik batu. May be Jabatan Agama Islam Negeri (JAIS) or JAKIM should produce ISO Certificate for Muslim on how to take ablution or Wudhu and all those many things of Islamic practices, hopefully at Padang Mashar later we could show to Allah how certified true Muslim we are. As long as our "niat", the hidden niat differ from our true deed, to me, that the reason why we failed and forever be failing. I can't say InsyaAllah on this, but surely SubhannaAllah.

(5) For those whom have all out imposing the ISO Certification Achievement by all public service institutions. even to the extend on How to Award Lesen Sabung Ayam must be ISO Certified, when such case has nothing of good value and or significant commercial gain, in the Wong See Meng's case what would then be their stand? I strongly believe, none would stand to say, I'm sorry. I didn't see the implication to that bad. I want to be partly responsible. Right or wrong is not the issue that I want to raised, but when we imposed certain measures to our system, didn't we from time to time trying to figure out the possible bad effect of such imposition. Have we indeed facilitate them to the most convinience? Anybody can say Wong See Meng case is an isolation, is it truely such or a mere escapism and or lepas tangan, a cowardy, and especially among the Muslims, Allah has always His way to make us sadar and insaf if we are ever willing to listen, see, in touch and think.

(5) To me, the Wong See Meng case is Allah wake up call for the Sarawak Civil Service to be more and truely in touch with the subjects to really make it at the World Class of Its Own.. InsyaAllah.

Kuching, Sarawak
28 August, 2013

#Abdullah Chek Sahamat

Writing that complies Bizarre, Odd, Strange, Out of box facts about the stuff going around my world which you may find hard to believe and understand

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

En Abdullah
When you were serving in SPU, i remember on a few occasions telling you that there is taking and giving in the civil service, it is a business dealing.You once chase me out of the office thinking that i was offering you money, but you were mistaken.i was talking about corruption, and you said there is no such thing.
The day you entered the corporate business entity, i believe you understanding what i meant.Sometimes you don't understand things until you are there, and there are people out there who have been to places and seen things.

Abdullah Chek Sahamat said...

I can't recall the incidence. I don't remember anybody attempted to bribe me in those day. Nonetheless, by Allah blessing, corruption was never the culture that we have in those day SPU. I believe most of us who move up thereon, kept to such a discipline. We just want to be truly professional. We don't mind about tidak cukup gaji, though we always grumble about it during our tea or lunch break, but corruption never cross our mind. Thus if ever I denied you, all because my stand on corruption was and is very clear: never take what is not rightly yours. Thus never assume as the Malays' saying: Kerbau seekor membawa lumpur, semua terpalit or Serkap Jarang is basically unfair.

Anonymous said...

1) What is your opinion now that Mr. Wong See Meng has been acquited by the court?

2) What is your opinion that DO's Office openly "requested" a client to donate for their "makan"?

Abdullah Chek Sahamat said...

Firstly, if sincerely, he collected the money to pay for the ISO Audit Fee, than well his intend is correct except his act is morally wrong. He can't be personally penalized for something that doesn't give him any benefit, and he did it for the good of the organization. But from the Report in BP that I read, the money was collected to belanja the auditors makan which to me is amounting to corruption. Why on earth these auditors must be given makan. Didn't the DO Office was paying for their fee. To me MACC should check on this and charge all those responsible accordingly.

(2) By the way, for a public agency to seek donation from a private citizen or sector is totally something that I never like. Personally in the duration of my public service, I never accept such an act. If the organization that I lead did such a thing, definitely I go mad. To me if we want thing that are of personal benefit, than it should come out of our own pocket. The Al Quran, made clear of prohibiting of placing a burden on others, for ourselves good. TQ

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up
what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog
writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any suggestions for inexperienced blog writers?

I'd certainly appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

It's remarkable to pay a visit this site and reading the views of all colleagues about this
paragraph, while I am also keen of getting know-how.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am so glad I found your site, I really found you by mistake,
while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog
(I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at
the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

Copyright © 2010 abc sadong™ is a registered trademark.

Designed by Access. Hosted on Blogger Platform.