.

6/8/10 SUBMERGING SIBU......

Posted By: Abdullah Chek Sahamat - August 30, 2010

Share

& Comment

Last Wednesday, I rushed to the Sibu Airport by an early taxi drive. As usual, the Taxi drivers are my immediate benchmark to check on local and nataional issues. The driver, had been driving taxi for about eight years. He is a Hokkien. Age around 60s, look very soft and friendly. He speaks good English. My simple question to him: "How is Sibu lately, politically and development wise?". Once a while he turned his head to me: "Are you working with the Government, sir?", he asked me in replied. "Yes, sort of and you shouldn't be worried. Just say whatever you want to say. Your information is just for my personal knowledge", assuring him of my neutrality in issues that he may want to voice.

(2) "Haiya susahlah! To say, doesn't feel good, not to say also I feel not correct", he replied back. "Just say what do you feel right then!", I reassured him back.

(3) "I just read in the paper, the Government want to spend RM80.00 million to dredge Rajang River. The job to be done immediately after Raya. That is good, and that might solve Sibu frequent flooding problem", he added on. "This DAP and SUPP, keep acussing each other for not doing enough for the electorates especially during the last Sunday flash flood. I hope they should just sit down, have coffee, and talk nicely to solve the people problem.

(4) "Well, as politic remain politic in it true sense, it is always the prime political objective and struggle to focus on to topple whoever in power. They just want to be a political leader, for social glorification!", I replied firmly to him.

(5) "This Sibu flooding problem, need greater effort than merely dredging of the river. Such effort wouldn't be fruitfull, not sustainable. Logging, plantation development, shifting cultivation, even contruction are gearing actively up river. Our 5,000-6,000mm rainfall annually is a another factor to be well understood. Worst, just like Bangkok and Jakarta, Sibu is located on peat swarm area. The earlier town contruction was not with proper structural footing and foundation. Over time, the soil is sinking. The town is sinking, while due to sendimentation, the river bed also rising. Thus, the cause of Sibu continuous flooding span beyond the need to dredge", I tried to kill his wishfull thought.

(6) "The best I would suggest for you guys in Sibu to shift your development focus beyond the existing town parameters. If the Government is serious, say RM100.00 million/year could be spent to developed New Sibu City. Over long time span, a much safe and orederly Sibu could be generated. Most important, that RM100.00 million/year would generate better socio-economic spillover effect, as compared if the Government has to spend RM80.00 million/year just to dredge the River", I continue to convince him.

(7) "Betul juga. Itu dredging, buang air saja punya duit!", he answered me, while focusing on his steering while we drive along the bumpy road. "Ya, you better help to campaign on this idea. Move Sibu to higher ground. Slowly build new, safer Sibu!", I added on.

(8) "Ada susah sedikit. I'm not a politician. I'm not big enough. Worst I'm a Hokkien, not Foochow. People won't listen to me!", he replied back.

(9) "Not Politician, Not FooChow. So, diam dalam banjir teruslah!", I answer him hard. He fall silent. I sit back, and thinking: "Why on earth that we must firstly be somebody before we dare to say or even do something that is good!"

(10) Tomorrow is the National Day, and we had been Independence since 1957, meaning we have been 53 years into Independence, but do we have the Independent Mind and Soul?

Kuching, Sarawak
30 August, 2010

#Abdullah Chek Sahamat

Writing that complies Bizarre, Odd, Strange, Out of box facts about the stuff going around my world which you may find hard to believe and understand

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the driver is right..u still need to be somebody to outspoken yourself...if not, nobody's listening...this is reality boss...u above all people knows better...

Copyright © 2010 abc sadong™ is a registered trademark.

Designed by Access. Hosted on Blogger Platform.